Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine
• COMMUNITY LEARNING HUBS
The Community Learning Hubs will continue to offer free sessions in February for distance learning and after-school activities for kindergarten to eighth grade LBUSD students.
The free Community Learning Hubs will provide a safe space with high-speed internet for students to complete distance learning assignments during the school day. Youth will also have the option to participate in safe and enriching after-school activities, including academic support, sports, fitness and more.
The Community Learning Hubs will be available weekdays from 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., from February. 1- 26, (closed February 15) at the following locations
- Ernest McBride Park & Cal Rec. Community Center, 1550 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave.
- Houghton Park, 6301 Myrtle Ave.
- Orizaba Park, 1435 Orizaba Ave.
- Veterans Park, 101 E. 28th St.
All health and safety protocols will be implemented at the learning hub locations, and participants will be required to wear face coverings and adhere to physical distance guidelines. Participants must bring their own electronic device and lunch.
Online registration begins at 10 a.m. on January 15. In-person registration begins on January 15, from 10 am to 3 pm. at each of the camp locations listed above.
In-person program safety protocols include:
- Limiting the number of participants at each event.
- Maintaining no larger than 12:1 participant-to-staff ratio.
- Implementing physical distancing protocols including check-in and check-out.
- Cleaning and sanitizing all high-touch areas frequently.
- Requiring face coverings for participants and staff.
• VIRTUAL OUT OF SCHOOL PROGRAM
The Virtual After School Program will continue Monday – Friday, 3 – 6 p.m.
This free program will continue to enhance the virtual recreation experience with many engaging and fun activities, plus academic enrichment activities to supplement the virtual learning environment offered by LBUSD.
The Virtual After School Program will offer kids, ages 5-14, activities that can be experienced from the comfort of home including live “meets” with recreation staff, academic support, dance, art, trivia and much more within a three-hour period each day.
Registration opens on January 15 at 8 a.m.
- Visit www.lbparks.org
- Find the Virtual After School Program registration link
- Fill out the registration form
- Wait for your Welcome email!
In person registration will be available on January 15 at Heartwell Park – 5801 East Parkcrest Street from 2 – 6 p.m.
For additional information about these programs and other activities for youth, visit longbeach.gov/parks or call 562.570.3150.