- This event has passed.
Archaeology Dig at Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles
SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS, NOW – OCTOBER 31, 2021
Sift and sort to find replicas of ancient artifacts buried beneath the sand, weigh and examine your findings, and analyze clues to discover what we have in common with people who lived three thousand years ago. Included with general museum admission.
Join Skirball for Archaeology Month! Throughout October, junior archaeologists can participate in special projects below.
- Saturday, October 9: Learn how people worked with metal and made intricately designed jewelry in the ancient world. Then make your own metal amulet to wear.
- Sunday, October 10: See examples of the ancient writing system cuneiform, which was used to write several languages of the Ancient Near East. Then make a clay tablet with your name in cuneiform.
- Saturday, October 16: Join teaching artist Rose Ann Hamilton for a presentation on Cahuilla basketry. Then participate in a yucca brush and cordage activity to make your own bracelet.
- Sunday, October 17: Learn how people worked with metal and made intricately designed jewelry in the ancient world. Then make your own metal amulet to wear.
- Saturday, October 23: Participate in an artifact preservation activity with anthropologist Dr. Felicia Beardsley and historian Anne Collier of the University of La Verne Cultural and Natural Collections.
- Sunday, October 24: Take a closer look at the Skirball’s beautiful replica of the Hammat Tiberias mosaic in the exhibition Vision and Values: Jewish Life from Antiquity to America, and learn about the history of mosaics before making your own.
Disclaimer: The Kidsguide team works hard to ensure all events are accurate at the time of posting, but details are subject to change without notice. Confirm all details with event organizer before attending. Kidsguide is not liable for errors, omissions, or changes to listings on our calendar.