72 Clever Questions to Get Kids Talking About Their School Day
Parents! Does this conversation sound familiar?
You just picked up the kids from school and want to know, “How was your day?” and the response is, “It was fine” or “It was good.” Aargh.
We know it’s important to keep that line of communication always open when it comes to our kids. It gives you a better sense of what’s going on when they’re not with you and makes them feel valued and loved.
Kids tend to be more descriptive about their day when asked specific, engaging questions. Here’s a list of unique questions to get the conversation started! Some questions may work better for your child than others. Remember to elaborate and make them personal to your own kids. Happy chatting!
Keep scrolling for the printable version!
- What was the funniest thing that happened in your class today?
- What was the hardest thing you did today?
- If you had $1,000 to buy something for your school, what would you buy?
- What did you do that was creative?
- Tell me something you know today that you didn’t know yesterday.
- What was the hardest rule to follow today?
- When were you bored today? How would you make the topic more interesting?
- What school supplies did you use today?
- What was your least favorite part of the day?
- How did you show kindness today?
- Did you raise your hand in class today? What did you ask?
- Did you get frustrated with something today?
- What was the hardest problem to solve today?
- What mistake did you make today that taught you something?
- Tell me the 5 best things that happened today.
- What made you the most proud today?
- Was there anything you were disappointed about today?
- If you could do your day over again, would you change anything?
Learning & Subjects
- Teach me one thing you learned in (subject) today.
- What new fact did you learn today?
- Did you learn any new words today?
- Why do you think your teacher wants you to learn (a specific topic or subject)?
- Are you reading anything interesting in class right now?
- What’s the most difficult thing you’re learning in (subject) right now?
- Of everything you learned today, what do you think will be the most useful when you’re a grown up?
- What questions were on your test?
- What was the most difficult/easiest question on the test?
- What would have made your test easier?
- How can I help you study for your test?
- Are you proud of your grade?
- What could we study more next time?
Recess & Play
- Who did you play with at recess?
- What games did you play at recess?
- What’s the most popular game at recess right now?
- Was anyone playing alone today? How can you help?
- Who do you want to play with that you’ve never played with before?
- What do you wish your playground had?
- Did you like your lunch?
- Who did you sit next to at lunch?
- What do you wish the school would serve for lunch?
- If you could have traded lunches with anyone today, who would it have been? What did they have?
Classmates, Friends, & Teachers
- Who did you help today at school?
- Who did you sit next to in class?
- If you could switch seats with anyone in class, who would it be and why?
- Who are three people that you talked to today?
- Who was nicest to you today?
- Who did something funny in class today?
- Who in your class is your complete opposite?
- Who in your class is most like you? Why?
- Who inspired you today?
- Who in your class showed kindness today?
- What made your teacher happy or sad?
- Were there any conflicts or difficult situations today? How did/would you handle it?
- What is one thing you wish your teacher did differently?
- Was anyone unkind to you today? How did you respond?
- What did you share with your friends today?
- Did anyone have a birthday today? How was it celebrated?
- Who asked a great question today?
- How were your friends today?
- If one of your classmates could be the teacher for a day, who would you want it to be?
- Who had the best idea today?
- What’s one thing you teacher said today that stuck with you?
- What other job do you think your teacher would be really good at?
- Who in your class would you like to know better?
- What rule do you think the teacher needs to add or take away?
- If you could be the teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the class?
- What are you most excited about for tomorrow?
- Will you be learning/doing anything interesting tomorrow?
- Is there anything making you nervous about tomorrow?
- Tell me something you are going to do tomorrow that will make someone’s day.
- What school events are you looking forward to?
- How can I help you feel prepared for tomorrow?
More Like This:
This post was written by Kidsguide