35 After School Activities
- Make dinner together.
- Find a new dish to make from another part of the world.
- Start an in-home garden and let the kids be responsible for taking care of it. Check out this Easy DIY Indoor Herb Garden idea from Somewhat Simple.
- Upcycle an old item from around the house. Paint it and turn it into a decorative piece.
- Print photos and start a scrapbook.
- Research your family tree.
- Make a vision board and continue to add new goals.
- Organize the pantry and have kids make the shopping list.
- Learn to play a new board game and teach the family.
- Make chores fun by doing them in character (pirates, spies, superheroes, etc.)
- Build a fort out of cardboard.
- Put them in charge of dessert and bake a new treat.
- Write and send letters to friends and relatives.
- Make snack art. Check out these too cute to eat foods collected by hello, YUMMY.
Explore & Exercise
- Hike and explore nearby trails.
- Head to the park to run around and play.
- Go on a bike ride. Or a scooter, skateboard, roller skates – try a new set of wheels and make it interesting by going a different route every time.
- Do kid-friendly yoga. Pre-K Pages has a great list of recommended yoga videos for kids!
- Go rock climbing together. Check out these local climbing facilities.
- Walk the dog. Or ask a neighbor to help walk their dog.
- Visit the library to find new books. Libraries are always offering free activities too!
- Let the kids design a backyard obstacle course and hold family races.
- Research local historical spots in your neighborhood.
- Go geocaching and join the world’s largest treasure hunt.
Classes, Lessons, Practices & Rehearsals
- Take art classes. Check out this list of local art studios in Long Beach & Orange County.
- Try a team sport like baseball, basketball, football, soccer, etc. Here’s a list of sports and where to find a team/league in your area.
- Or try a solo sport like archery, fencing, golf, horseback riding, etc.
- Budding actor? Sign up for acting classes and theatre programs. Here’s a list of local programs in Long Beach & Orange County.
- Get hands-on with pottery classes.
Give Back to Your Community
- Gather supplies for the local animal shelter. Try making a few of these No-Sew Blankets (from Newlywed Survival) and No-Sew Dog Toys (from Sew Historically) to donate to pets in need.
- Tutor someone younger.
- Collect food and clothing items to donate to the local food bank/shelter.
- Pick up trash in your neighborhood or local park/beach.
- Send a card or e-card to kids in the hospital. Here’s how to send an e-card to patients at the Children’s Hospital of Orange County.
- Volunteer in your community. Check with local businesses and city facilities.
This post was written by Alina Na