5 Must-Do Activities for Kids Who Love Dogs
Do your kids love being around dogs? Well we’ve got a serious case of puppy love and rounded up some of the most pawsome activities they can do!
Sniff out the science behind puppy love! Experience the extraordinary way a dog sees, hears and smells the world through fun and unique hands-on exhibits.
Exhibit Highlights Include:
- Tail as Old as Time: Role-play as an archaeologist and dig up replica fossils to find out if they belong to wolves or dogs.
- Dogs and Humans, Together Forever: Interact with a playful, virtual dog. Test your canine pop-culture knowledge in a Jeopawdy! game show.
- The Incredible Dog!: Test your running pace against the top speeds of different dog breeds.
- Caring for Dogs: Explore the possibilities and responsibilities that come with bringing a dog into your life, and find out how to care for these furry family members
- Dog Park: Play in the Dog Park (for humans only!) and learn about the importance of play for both humans and dogs. Occasionally, guests will have a chance to see dogs’ amazing abilities up close when volunteer partners and their rescue, service, and companion dogs visit.
Kidsguide is giving away tickets to this fun exhibition! Enter here.
scpaLA’s Pet Care Patch Workshop | Long Beach
This workshop teaches young animal-lovers more about animals, including responsible ways to care for pets and ways to help animals in their communities. Kids (ages 6-9) can attend the Introductory Pet Care Patch Workshop, while older kids (ages 9-12) participate in the Advanced Pet Care Patch Workshop.
spcaLA’s Friends for Life Summer Camp | Long Beach
A week-long day camp designed for 8-17 year olds. At camp, kids learn basic care and responsibility for pets, respect for animals, and the beginnings of dog training — all while having fun with friends! Weekly sessions available from June 17 – August 23, 2019.
Read to Therapy Dogs | Local Libraries
Kids can increase their reading skills and self-confidence by reading aloud to certified therapy dogs. Some students find it intimidating to read in front of classmates, but love to read to non-judgmental, calming dogs. BARK Therapy Dogs visit local libraries year round, see their calendar to see if they’ll be at a library near you. See pg. 14 of Kidsguide’s Summer Calendar for more or ask your local library if they have a similar program.
Wallis Annenberg PetSpace & Kids Summer Camp | Playa Vista
Visit this unique, state-of-the-art community space where people and pets connect. This kid-centric play space features interactive activities for children, including a life-sized hamster wheel, giant digital touch-screen wall, 2-story slide and more. They also offer a Kids Summer Camp (ages 9-12) where campers learn about the human-animal bond, pet adoption, veterinary care, and animal behavior. You can even celebrate your child’s birthday here with a party, guided tour, games, pet encounters and crafts.
Want even more ways to play with dogs? Check out our sister site, Petsguide, for pet-friendly events, services and more.
This post was written by Kidsguide