I know, I know, Grandma always said walking barefoot would give you ringworm, and Grandpa always said “hugging trees was for hippies,” but this Earth Day taking it down to earth may be easier than you thought. We just have to wiggle our toes in the grass every once and a while to find out (bugs not invited). 🙂
1. Help Keep Nemo’s Home Clean!
These beach clean up events are fun for the whole family, benefit the home of another living being and teach your children the value of giving back to the community. We only get one ocean so we might as well take care of it, right?!
- Beach Clean up in Seal Beach: Third Saturdays, rain or shine monthly beach clean-up. Bring a reusable water bottle, sunscreen and closed-toed shoes; there is free parking, bags, gloves, community service certificates and hand sanitizer. 9 a.m. – noon. 1st Street beach lot at the corner of Ocean and 1st.
- Beach Clean up in Ballona Creek: All are invited to this special Culver City Centennial community activity! In addition to collecting ocean-bound trash, help remove invasive plants that obscure the Postcards From Ballona mural, and more! And high school students can earn community service credits! Volunteers 18 and under need this waiver form signed by a parent or guardian to participate.
- Earth Day at The Ecology Center: Bring a fresh lunch to enjoy with others, make take-home eco crafts and chocolate earthballs, and learn how to grow your own food! Engage in hands-on activities that show how we can make every day Earth Day! Saturday, April 22nd, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Free to attend. Seasonal drinks and snacks will be provided. You don’t want to miss this one!
- Earth Day at Bolsa Chica Wetlands: Break out the hand sanitizer because this hands on experience lets you touch live snakes, test the water, count migrating birds and much more! There will be a multitude of educational booths alongside a bounce house, food and guided tours. What a great way to celebrate our home! Saturday, Aprill 22nd. Free.
- Check out our calendar for even more Earth Day celebrations!
You know what they say, one woman’s trash is another woman’s craft… or something like that! 🙂 So start searching your house for old plastic water bottles, cereal boxes, paper towel rolls, soup cans and pretty much anything you can get your hands.
We’ve got you covered with 100+ DIYS that you can make using recycled materials. From robots to homemade board games, Favecrafts shares 50 fun craft projects that are great to use all year round.
4. Plant a Tree!
This one goes without saying.
We all know the benefit of plants, and how they help keep us alive by creating the air we breathe. Share this life lesson with your child, and head over to your local nursery to pick up your favorite fruit tree.
Not only will your little you learn the importance of the plants on our planet but come summer time you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Literally.
5. Set a Family Challenge!
What better way to celebrate than to encourage a little healthy competition?!
Set goals for the family and see who can make the least amount of trash in a week, or collect the most recyclables. Try reducing your electricity or water bill. Who can take the shortest shower? Just make sure they’re using soap! 😉
You can even set a grand prize such as a road trip over the summer or, if you save enough, a trip to Disneyland! This encourages caring for the planet we live on, and teaches the importance of saving money for something they want. It’s a win-win.
Count us in for the Mickey ears!
Create a jar full of ways your children can help their planet beyond just Earth Day!
Cut up a leftover paper grocery bag and write down little activities they can do such as plant a garden, volunteer at a recycling center or get involved with conservation groups in your area!
Draw once a month, or whenever the “I’m bored” statements start to roll around this summer. Thank you Sheknows.com!
????This Earth Day, we encourage you to enjoy the sunshine, feel the breeze and have a little fun doing it! Hash tag us using #kidsguidemagazine so we can bask in your Earth Day giggles.????
????Happy Earth Day!????