It’s that time of year! Full of food, pies, turkey and family! Kick start the giving season with a run that not only makes a great family tradition but also benefits organizations that make our world a better place. So grab the kids, the grandparents, the aunts and uncles, and maybe even the dog and get ready to run, walk, wobble, or trot your way to the finish line!
- Earn a Second Helping: Help your body out by getting in a quick run before the big feast, so you can feel a little less guilty when grab that second helping of potatoes or extra slice of pie.
- Tire Out the Kids: Waking the kids up early for a 7 a.m. turkey trot will tucker them out so they’re not running around the house while you’re trying to set the table.
- Establish a Tradition: You’ll look back with fond memories, and you’ll even be able to see how much progress your family’s fitness has made over the years.
- Dress It Up: Once Halloween passes, there really aren’t a lot of opportunities to dress up in silly costumes like a turkey!
- Do It For the Medal: Challenge your kids to collect as many race medals as they can, and they’ll be addicted to running races in no time.
- Catch Up with Everyone: With all the hustle and bustle on Thanksgiving Day, it can be hard to actually sit down and reconnect with family. So this year, don’t sit–trot and chat instead.
Read more here!
November 22 | Huntington Beach
Start your Thanksgiving at the beach! This 5K/10K Turkey Trot features a flat ocean-front course and a 1K walk for kids 12 and under. Funds raised from this event go to Causelife, which provides clean water to those in need in developing countries. Walkers and strollers welcome. No pets, please. Registration required. $20-45. Thursday, 7-11 a.m. Beach Blvd. and Pacific Coast Hwy., Huntington Beach.
O’Side Turkey Trot
November 22 | Oceanside
Join the 13th annual O’Side Turkey Trot that benefits Oceanside schools. There is a 5K, 10K and kids’ fun runs. Event offers a costume contest, largest teams competition, live entertainment on the course, and finisher medals for all participants. Free digital photos, medals, shirts, and timing to all registered participants. Thursday, 6:45-11 a.m.; see the website for schedule. $25-55.
Palisades Funding Turkey Trot
November 22 | Pacific Palisades
Run a quick race before you stuff your face! All ages are invited to this Thanksgiving morning 5K, starting and ending at Pali High. Thursday, 8 a.m. Adults (18+), $40-45; kids, $25. Palisades High School.
Thanksgiving Turkey Trot
November 22 | Long Beach
Join this Thanksgiving day race for a good cause! Includes a Kids’ Half-Mile Wingding Fun Run and adults 5K/10K. 100% of the money raised goes to the charity Community Action Team (C.A.T.). Thursday, start times vary, check website for details. $25-40. Registration required.
Turkey Trot and Kids Gobble Wobble
November 22 | Dana Point
Located in the beautiful Dana Point Harbor, the Dana Point Turkey Trot is celebrating 41 years! This flat, scenic race features a 10k, 5k and Kids Gobble Wobble. Join on Thanksgiving Day and give yourself an excuse for an extra piece of pie! Plan to arrive at least 30 to 60 minutes before your start time to locate parking. Thursday, start times vary. Register online.
Widdle Wobble Turkey Trot
November 22 | Downtown Los Angeles
Head to Downtown LA Thanksgiving morning to run through the streets. Participate in the 5k, 10k, or 1 mile Widdle Wobble for kids. Everyone gets a rockin’ trucker hat, sparkly finisher medal, and bib. Registration required. Thursday, 8 a.m. – noon. Packet pickup opens at 6:45 a.m. on race day. $20-60. City Hall, 200 N Spring St, Los Angeles.
Plymouth Rock n’ Run
November 22 | Anaheim
Come join North Orange County’s favorite Turkey Trot featuring 5k, 10k, and 10-mile courses along with a Tot Trot and 1k for kids. There will be a costume contest, music, vendors, fun for the kids and more! New this year: Four-legged friend division, register your dog for the 5k and cutest dog contest! Thursday, 6 a.m. – 12 p.m. Registration required. Rates, $20-35. Yorba Linda Regional Park.
November 25 | Griffith Park, Los Angeles
The Tofurky Company invites you to join in the Tofurky Trot, designed to support the health and vitality of local communities and raise money for local groups supporting plant-based diets. The 5K race (3.1 miles) is a run, trot, or walk open to kids and grownups of all fitness levels. $15+. Sunday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.